Manufacturers & Procurement

Rowad’s new wastewater recycling unit for small number of users.

Rowad’s new wastewater recycling unit for small number of users.

Plastics ace expands

November 2017

ROWAD National Plastic Company of Saudi Arabia, which has participated several times in The Big 5 in Dubai, is this year exhibiting alongside its sister company Taldeen and will be promoting acrylic and polycarbonate plastic sheets, and plastic geomembrane liners.  

Taldeen, meanwhile, will be promoting its high-density polyethylene (HDPE) double-wall corrugated pipes for drainage, and DPE PE100 pressure pipes for several piping applications. Rowad Plastic is a leading plastics manufacturer in the region with member companies that specialise in engineering plastic conversion. These include Rowad National Plastic Company (RNPC), which produces engineering plastic sheets (polycarbonate and acrylic), injection-moulded cases and covers for automotive batteries, and paints pails in Riyadh; Rowad International Geo-Synthetic (RIG), which manufactures HDPE/LLDPE(linear low-density polyethylene) geomembrane liners in Dammam; and Rowad Global Packaging (RGP), which makes biaxially oriented polypropylene (BOPP) films in Dammam. Rowad companies are affiliates of the National Industrialisation Company (Tasnee) under the Downstream Strategic Business Unit. Rowad Plastic has the capacity to serve customers both domestically and internationally. Approximately 60 per cent of its products volume is sold within Saudi Arabia while the remaining 40 per cent is exported to more than 30 countries regionally and globally.  Saeed Al Ajrafi, vice-president - Plastic Business Unit, says: “Rowad continues to reach out to customers and ensure its strong presence internationally, including the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Europe.” 

HDPE corrugated pipes ... “good substitute for GRP and clay pipes”.

HDPE corrugated pipes ... “good substitute for GRP and clay pipes”.

Rowad, which has representation in Italy, Tunisia and Turkey, plans to open more channels of distribution in the UAE, Egypt and Australia. 

Building on its success, Rowad and Tasnee have plans to invest further in the plastics business as well as diversify its portfolio.

“A giant complex of over 100,000 sq m has, therefore, been commissioned in Hail, Saudi Arabia, under the umbrella of Tasnee. This newly formed company called Taldeen Plastic Solutions produces various specialised plastic solutions,” he reveals. He says the production focus is primarily in four major sectors: Pipes, handling and agriculture solutions, water tanks and road barriers.

Al Ajrafi says the company has plans for expansion of the production lines and is always in pursuit of the newest and latest technologies in the plastics field. 

Rowad offers a choice of acrylic sheets.

Rowad offers a choice of acrylic sheets.

Turning to new products, Al Ajrafi says one of Taldeen’s latest products is a complete wastewater treatment and reuse system (wastewater recycling unit) which is designed to treat and recycle water for up to 25 people. “This may be a common product in some parts of Europe or the US, however, it’s more challenging in this part of the world. With the overall sustainability programme and greater environmental awareness in Saudi Arabia, this will be a great enabler for small industries or residential areas,” says Al Ajrafi. Other products introduced to the local market include robust, reliable and cost-effective solutions for drainage.

The company’s HDPE corrugated pipes are manufactured using the highest quality materials and are the best substitute for glass fibre-reinforced plastics (GRP) and clay pipes, for transporting stormwater and wastewater, he says. Results have shown that forward-thinking municipalities realise the future of storm water management lies in utilising the best technology, he adds. The use of HDPE dual-wall corrugated pipes for stormwater has increased dramatically over the past several years. This is because of their strength, durability, joint integrity, and long-term cost-effectiveness.

Rowad will be exhibiting at Stand ARD201 at The Big 5.



More Stories